How to Finish Drywall in 10 Easy Steps
Finishing drywall is a great way to add appeal and value to your home. With the right supplies and some basic know-how, you can achieve professional results in no time at all. Here are ten easy steps for how to finish drywall that will help you get started on this DIY project. From preparing the walls for installation to adding texture, these simple instructions will have you well on your way towards completing your dream wall makeover.
So grab those tools and let’s get going!
- Cut the drywall to fit the wall by measuring and then marking the cut lines with a straightedge. Use a sharp utility knife to carefully score the lines, and then snap off the excess drywall.
- Tape your seams: Cover each seam with a strip of drywall tape. This will help you create a seamless look on the wall and also prevent any cracking from occurring over time.
- Apply joint compound: Use a taping knife to spread the joint compound over the taped seams, creating a smooth surface.
- Sand the drywall: Use a medium-grit sandpaper to sand down any ridges or any areas that have joint compound that is not flush with the wall. Be sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection when sanding drywall.
- Apply a second coat of joint compound: This time, use a wider taping knife and spread the compound in an even layer over tape and any visible seams. It is important to ensure that the compound is completely smooth and even.
- Sand the wall again: Again, use a medium-grit sandpaper to sand down any ridges or any areas that have joint compound that is not flush with the wall. Be sure to wear a dust mask and eye protection when sanding drywall. This step is especially important if you plan on adding texture to the wall.
- Prime the drywall: Use a high-quality primer to seal the drywall and ensure that it is ready for painting. This will also help keep the joint compound from cracking.
- Paint the drywall: Use a high-quality paint to give your wall an even finish and vibrant color.
This can be done in two coats, as necessary.
- Texture the wall: If desired, you can add texture to your drywall using a variety of techniques such as sponging, rolling, or spraying. This step is optional, but it can add a unique look to your wall.
- Clean up: Vacuum the dust and debris from sanding the drywall, and clean any tools you used for installation. When everything is cleaned up, your finished drywall should be ready to admire!
You now have a beautifully finished drywall ready to show off! With these simple instructions, you’ll be able to transform any room in no time at all. Good luck and happy DIYing!
Following these ten easy steps for finishing drywall will help you achieve a professional-looking result in no time at all. With the right supplies and knowledge, you can transform your wall into something amazing. So get those tools ready and let’s get going!